Why We Clean
Why We Clean
- Each item we sell is unique and individual and can make great gift ideas. Treat yourself or someone special with one of these historical pieces. As normal, where possible, we try to give you as much history as possible on each piece.
- We professionally clean most of the items we sell as we know our customers want to wear their purchase. We attempt to achieve the lustre of the pieces as when they were first crafted. Of course, this is not always possible as the ravages of time cause pitts in the metal, or damage or wear.
- However, the end result is normally a pefectly wearable piece of authentic ancient jewellery for our customers to own. Your own piece of history. Each mark, line and imperfection on ancient jewellery adds to its intrigue and history.
- Where possible we also show the item's original condition with the patina built up over many hundreds, if not thousands, of years underground. Occasionally with the actual dirt still attached to it following its excavation. We know that new visitors to our site see the shiny, bright jewellery and immediately think it is not authentic. This is why we now show these BEFORE cleaning pictures as proof of the item's authenticity.
- Our bronze and copper pieces take many days of gentle cleaning using many processes. Whereas the silver pieces are more easily cleaned. Gold (being such a precious metal) needs little cleaning, just a gentle wash.